Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Real TV #1


What follows is the reality for an actor engaged to play a small guest role in a contemporary television production in 2011. A role something like the first experiences that I would expect many students would have as a professional actor on a real production.

Monday 11.00am
I am confirmed for a small guest role in a new comedy TV series. I know it is a contemporary political satire around our current Prime Minister and I understand that my role is only a few lines for half a day’s pay at Equity rates. 
That’s about $210 .
My character is Customer#1

Tuesday 10.35am
A revised script arrives via email from my agent.

Tuesday 5.12pm
A call sheet for Wed 20th July arrives.
The location is in Telopea , about an hour  away ny car, and my call time is 3pm. 
It’s lousy weather . 
Indeed the forecast is for heavy rain and gale force winds for Sydney metropolitan area and I will have no car on that day so search public transport options. 
It’s not promising.

6.30pm
A call from the wardrobe supervisor who asks whether I can bring several of my own wardrobe choices for the character. The public transport option now seems too risky with a bag of clothes and torrential rain on the 750metre walk from Telopea station to location. Hmmnnn.

Wednesday 12.00pm
I borrow a car from a friend a bus ride away. Joy!

2.00 pm
Arrive location. Desperately early but years of experience take nothing away from the terror of being late on set. Time is money . And not your own. I sit in the borrowed car and write emails on my laptop.

3.00 pm.
I emerge to find another actor I know also engaged to play a small role in the same scene. Customer #2 .  This is a very good thing because when we find the wardrobe truck , parked in a quagmire in the next suburban street, it is deserted , the door is closed and it starts to rain. Fortunately the door is not locked. That’s not proper procedure , given the equipment inside but good news for us.

3.30pm
Makeup and hair

4.00pm
Wigged, made up and wearing my own clothes we are brought on set. The shoot is 30 mins behind and losing light is an issue. Quick introductions to the lead actor , director  and first assistant director. The names of the  twenty other people in the room I may never know.

Run lines.
Rough blocking .
Camera positions set.
Breathe.
Action.
2nd take after the director has an adjustment or two.
3rd take with alternative move. Must hurry because natural light outside is failing
Closer shot. Take #1 and #2
Second version with alternative move #1
Close up lead actor #1 and 2#

Wardrobe assistant points out I have played the whole thing with the page of script sticking out of my back pocket.

Wide shot from exterior  #1. I have no idea  at all what the shot is exactly but play the scene improvising with the actor playing the shop owner  till the First says cut.

 Everybody starts moving stuff. Moving on means all the crew , whatever their names are , are very relieved.

5.00pm (I think)
Director comes out and she says thanks .
Writer/Producer says the same .

I say it’s good to feel like an actor for the day.

5.30pm
Pass an actor preparing her small part for the next scene, now 45 mins behind. She looks a little wide eyed.

6.30pm
Return my borrowed car in a deluge. Wet but now it doesn’t matter. Borrow an umbrella for the walk home.

Do you think your students are prepared for that reality?
That hour between 4pm and 5pm when the focus required is specific I'm not even sure how to describe it. 
That's the challenge, I guess.